I am bingeing The Real Housewives of New York City as I type this and forgot how much I love this franchise – I cackle laugh every episode! Leah might be my new favorite, tattoos and all. In scary times like these, I need laughter and cheesy comfort foods. My favorite comfort food recipes to make right now are soups, and my sausage and tortellini soup with fire roasted tomatoes is a total winner!
*HINT* this soup is filled with A LOT of cheese. I used fat free cream cheese and three cheese tortellini. These ingredients can easily be frozen, and I make big batches of this sausage and tortellini soup for the purpose of “feeding my freezer”. Basically that means I can stock pile leftover food in my freezer, creating less food waste and saving me time and energy when prepping for dinner.
Pin this image and save it for later!
Prepare ingredients for Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This is a one pot soup and I favor using my dutch oven to brown the sausage and onions first. You will need a can of fire roasted tomatoes, box of washed spinach, fat free cream cheese, and tortellini of your choice.
Turn the stove top to medium heat and wait for the dutch oven to warm up. Throw in your sausage and chopped onion with a small glug of olive oil. I am using breakfast sausage, but you can use any sausage you wish. Italian sausage or sage sausage would be perfect with this soup.
While the sausage and onions are cooking down, add your garlic, spices and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook your sausage until it is browned and onion translucent. Take off the heat.
Add your chicken broth and fire roasted tomatoes and bring to a boil. Once the soup has come to a boil bring the heat to a rolling simmer and cover for 20-30 minutes.
After the 20-30 minute are up, add in your cream cheese and spinach. I like to let the cream cheese completely melt before adding in the tortellini.
Add your tortellini and let the pasta cook in the pot until it is fully cooked. Be careful when stirring so you do not break the tortellini and not over cook it. The pre-cooked tortellini I use from Kroger takes no time to heat up, maybe 5 mins.
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- Dutch oven
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1 package of breakfast sausage
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbs basil
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 oz fat cream cheese
- 12 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cup torn fresh spinach
- Turn stove top to medium heat and allow dutch oven to warm up.
- Once the dutch oven is hot, pour in a glug of olive oil and your sausage and chopped onion. Stir to combine.
- As the sausage starts browning and onions turn soft, add in your garlic, spices, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat down to low when you determine the sausage is fully cooked and brown, and your onions are translucent. Add your chicken broth and fire roasted tomatoes. Return the heat to a boil.
- Once the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and cover for 20-30 minutes.
- Take off the dutch oven cover after the 20-30 have ended and stir in your cream cheese and spinach. Wait to add your tortellini until the cream cheese has completely melted.
- Add your tortellini and cook for about 5 minutes or until the pasta is tender and cooked through.
|The nutrition label used for this blog post was generated by VeryWellFit Recipe Nutrition Calculator.|
The Nutrition values listed are only an estimate and should not be counted as the final nutrition values.
Please make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients you use when making this recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.